foam heart shapes of various colours, size and texture (found at the craft or dollar store)
1. Number 1-10 on 10 large hearts, using a marker.
2. Place a container of smaller hearts in the middle of the table or floor.
3. Place the numbered hearts in random order around the table or floor.
There are lots of ways to play with your toddler or preschooler;
1. Ask your child to put the numbers in order (older kids can learn to count backwards as well!).
2. Take turns putting the correct number of small hearts to match the number on the large heart (ie. count out 5 small hearts from the container and put them on the #5 large heart).
3. Make piles of small hearts and ask your child to count them and match them with the correct number.
4. With older kids, you can start to introduce addition and subtraction! Take away a small heart on the #5 large heart and ask how many there are now? Add a small heart to #5 and see if you child can tell you that you now have 6! Move it to the correct large heart.
5. You can keep playing this game or eventually glue the correct number of hearts on the large numbered heart.
Have fun with numbers this Valentine's Day!