In a perfect world, us gals would open up our closet every season and find a brand-new wardrobe just waiting for us – with all of the latest colours and styles. Alas, the reality is that not many people have the time or the money for such extravagance. However, there’s truly nothing that makes you feel like winter is over than getting rid of all of those heavy layers and freshening up your look with some fun, new pieces.
Here are my top ten picks for spring that won’t break your budget;
1. Throw out your old dingy white t-shirts and stock up on some fresh and bright new ones (I cut my old ones into dusting cloths). Old Navy has the best selection of basic t-shirts in v-neck or crewneck styles at a price and quality you will love. Nothing works as a better background and wardrobe builder than a nice white t-shirt. $11.94 at www.oldnavy.ca.
2. A new pair of jeans in the wash-of-the-moment doesn’t have to cost a fortune. The stylish folks at Joe Fresh always have the most on-trend looks at the most affordable prices. This skinny dark rinse pair flatter all shapes and sizes, and can take you from the school yard to date night. $39.00 at www.joefresh.com.
3. Spring/Summer 2014 season proves that designers everywhere are in love with stripes. Bold and fun, stripes always make a statement. Take this top from Reitmans and throw on jeans and a pair of kicky ballet flats, or a plain skirt with wedge sandals and you’re good to go. $22.00 at www.reitmans.com.
4. H&M is known for their extremely good values, but did you know they are a driving force behind sustainable style? Every season they put out new selections from their Conscious Collection featuring organic, sustainable fabrics such as this beautiful boho-style blouse with lace insets and embroidery. Perfect with jeans or a pair of white linen pants. $39.95 at www.hm.com/ca.
5. I adore my sweater wraps. They look fabulous, keep you cozy, and transition easily from casual to dressy. This light gray open cardi from Reitmans will be something you’ll want to throw on every day. $50.00 at www.reitmans.com.
6. You can’t go wrong with a cute mackintosh jacket, and this simple yet elegant version from Joe Fresh is such a great value, you’ll want one in classic tan as well as the black, both featuring a bright orange on the underside of the collar – a perfect pick-me-up pop of sunshine. $39.00 at www.joefresh.com.
7. I love the accessories from Me To We. Not only does the jewelry look great, it actually does great things. Every purchase of a Me To We product makes an impact in a Free The Children community, where artisans are paid a fair wage for their work, and the products are sustainably produced using locally sourced materials, like this Star necklace made from recycled brass. $19.99 at www.metowe.com.
8. We carry our lives in our handbags, from money to tissues to half-empty bags of semi-crushed fish crackers for our kids, and spring is the best time to break out a new tote that will go with literally everything you will wear all season. This bucket tote from Zara in a classic shape will carry all of your necessities. $79.00 at www.zara.com/ca.
9. The hardest part of transitioning from winter to spring is figuring out what shoes to wear. We’re fed up with wearing boots, but it’s still not warm enough to brave it out in flip flops. That’s why you can’t go wrong with a pair of cute ballet flats. These pretty rose coloured ones from Gap will definitely put a spring in your step. $44.95 at www.gapcanada.ca.
10. Get a pedicure! Even if the weather isn’t cooperating, having smooth heels and pretty toes can lift your spirits – even if you’re the only one that sees them! Walmart has all the latest colours from the nail polish experts at Essie featuring a new assortment of pretty pastels and vibrant brights. From $7.96 at www.walmart.ca.
Robin has over 20 years of retail and marketing industry experience. She loves to share her shopping expertise and inside information on where and how to get the most for your money and time. Read more on her blog www.shopwithrobin.ca