Whether you are an experienced camper or a newbie and would love to take the family camping, not all parents feel adventurous enough to challenge themselves quite that far. The trials of parenthood seem to zap all of our energy so that organizing a camping trip just seems too big. But the planning and organization is totally worth it and the kids love it. They are in their element, in fact. Running around naked and dirty, cooking by the camp fire, meeting other kids, staying up late – what's not to love?
Here are some tried and true tips from momstown Georgina when camping with kids;
1. Take activity books/colouring in books/drawing books etc, board games or card games (especially essential if it rains).
2. Comfortable sleeping mats and sleeping bags are really essential (for the adults anyway).
3. Food – easy to prepare food for the hungry family, I find a pre-prepared frozen spaghetti sauce to be essential, as are sausages and bacon, baked beans and tinned tuna.
4. Treats – of course, what camping trip is complete without chocolate and marshmallows – toasting marshmallows on the open fire is fun! (if a little dangerous, don’t forget to supervise those mini pyromaniacs).
5. Wine, whiskey or whatever – once those kiddies are asleep, sitting with a glass of something by the campfire under the stars is really magical.
6. Safety – make sure you explain all the hazards in the vicinity.
7. Have some jobs for the kids to do – setting up camp with eager excited children is not as easy as you might think – so instead of getting impatient and annoyed, give the kids a job to do – something that is totally non-essential and indestructible like setting up the camping chairs or handing you the tent pegs.
8. Action and fun – make sure there is kid friendly stuff to do, we like to go camping where we can go swimming, rock exploring, fishing, hiking into the bush, canoeing or searching for shells.
9. Be prepared to enjoy your kids and listen to your senses. Throw away city impatience, schedules and stresses and try to relax.
Want to be a part of one of momstown's next camping adventures or just get out with the kids for some fun activities and meet other moms just like you? Join momstown today!