This morning momstown Oakville had a St. Patrick's Day party and one of our members brought some delicious cupcakes that certainly fit the occasion. The night before the party she was thinking of ideas on what to bring as a snack to share with the group and got creative to come up with this recipe for St. Patrick's Day Spinach cupcake recipe.
1 box Betty Crocker lemon cake mix
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup boiling water (approximately)
1/2 cup oil
1. Puree baby spinach and boiling water. Add enough boiling water so that is is a baby food consistency and blends easily. Replace the 1 cup of water required in the recipe on the cake mix box with 1 cup of this spinach puree. Then simply follow the directions on the box, which in this case were to add all ingredients and mix on high for 30 seconds, then mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
2. Pour into lined cupcake tins and cook for 15-20 min, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups icing sugar (approximately)
1 tbsp milk (approximately)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
3 drops green food colouring (optional)
1. Blend butter and salt for 30 seconds.
2. Add half of icing sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and a splash of milk, also add any optional ingredients now.
3. Blend until well combined. Add the rest of the icing sugar and mix.
4. Drizzle in milk until you have the right consistency to spread on cupcakes.