4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1/2 lemon freshly squeezed
3 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 Tbls freshly ground pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1.5 lb pork loin (fat trimmed)
1 1/2 oz mozzarella cheese, cut in slices
2 cups fresh baby spinach
2 tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes
5 thin sliced
5 thin slices of prosciutto
salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1. Combine crushed garlic, lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, and pepper; mix well.
2. Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the pork loin to within 1/2- inch of bottom (careful not to cut all the way through). Open pork loin so it lies flat, cut side down. Cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with a mallet.
3. Remove plastic wrap; spread 1/2 of the garlic/Dijon mixture on the inside of the pork loin. Layer the mozzarella, prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes and spinach on top, press down gently.
4. Roll up pork jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 1 & 1/2-inch to 2-inch intervals with kitchen string.
5. Season lightly with salt, and remaining garlic/Dijon mixture. Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan.
6. Roast on middle rack uncovered, at 425° for 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Transfer to a serving platter or cutting board. Let rest 10 minutes with tented aluminum foil before removing string and slicing. Slice in 8 pieces.
The recipe goes well with garlic mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables.
Based on this original recipe.
Nelson Cardoso is "Dad in the Kitchen". A dad and husband that feels happiest and truly at peace when sitting around the table with family and friends enjoying a good home-cooked meal prepared fresh, from scratch, in his own kitchen. Follow him on Instagram.