Did you have a Barbie or doll cake when you were younger? It was a hit in the 70s for sure, when I was growing up and the trend has NOT slowed down. If your little girl is in love with all things Barbie, this is the cake you need to make! While you COULD go to the store and order one (for $50+), we have some great tips and tricks to make your own at home! You can surprise your birthday girl with this creative cake or even let her help make it and decorate it!
2 layer cake mix in any flavour (or make from scratch)
2 containers of icing (or more if you are getting super creative) or make yours from scratch
Barbie (you can buy one at the baking supply store, dollar store, use your own doll, or buy a new one for a gift for the Birthday girl!)
1. Make the batter in two, 8-inch round cake pans, according to instructions. (You can bake the two cakes in a Pyrex bowl as well).
2. Cool cakes on wire racks according to package directions. Then slice each cake crosswise into three layers (that's a total of six layers).
3. Assemble the cake. Put a thick layer of icing between the layers so the finished cake is as tall as Barbie measures (measure Barbie from her hips to tippy toes- this is how tall you want your cake to be. You can do this in a deep pan to line up layers or just on a plate.
4. Wrap the outside of the cake with a layer of wax paper, so that the layers are perfectly straight. Freeze the cake overnight or until it's solid.
5. When cake is still frozen, cut a hole (serrated knife works well) in the middle of the stacked layers from top to bottom. The hole should have the same diameter as the Barbie doll (don't force her in or it will crack.
6. Trim the top of the cake to create a skirt shape.
7. Wrap the Barbie doll in plastic. This allows you to have a clean Barbie doll when you are serving the cake and the Birthday girl wants to play with it right away! Covering her hair with plastic wrap is a great idea until you are ready to serve it.
8. Insert Barbie so that the cake comes just up to her hips. Make sure Barbie is dressed on the top or create the top of the dress with icing!
9. Remove the wax paper from the cake. Spread frosting over the cake (be generous) and create Barbie's skirt.
10. Decorate the skirt! Using piping bag or decorative tube icing you can add flowers, trip or patterns to her skirt in lots of different colours. You can even use candies or sprinkles to add edible decorations as well!
Some tips and images from Cake Fun