5 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Your slower cooker!
I add more cinnamon, some ginger and nutmeg, and I decrease the sugar by half, or 3/4. It's all up to how YOU want YOUR apple butter to taste!
1. Place apples in a slow cooker.
2. Combine sugar, spices and salt; pour over apples and mix well.
3. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
4. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking).
5. Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth. (I use my hand blender)
6. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze.
7. Or sterilize some jars in the oven @ 250 for 10 mins and boil canning lids for 5 then keep warm. Can while the butter, jars and lids are all stilll hot.
I also leave my lid on the Crock-pot off a crack so that the steam can escape and the butter reduces more effectively. I like a thick Apple Butter. I've had no problems canning it rather than freezing it. Of course it never lasts long at my house, it's a fabulous hostess gift.
Shared by a momstown Facebook member – thanks Lauren H!