Do you kids wait for Taco Tuesday every week, but you just can't stand to look at another taco? This Mexican casserole is a family favourite around our house and with a little salsa and sour cream, even your toughest critics will agree!
1 package ground turkey (or chicken or even beef if you prefer)
1C chopped celery
1/2 chopped onion
2-3 crushed garlic cloves
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 tsp of chili powder
chopped green & red pepper
1 chopped zucchini
1 c frozen corn kernels
1C tomato sauce (low sodium or make your own)
1C salsa (use low sodium or make your own)
3-4 wholewheat tortillas
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1. Saute the celery/onions/garlic/peppers/zucchini/seasoning in pan for 3 minutes.
2. Add ground turkey and cook until almost not pink.
3. Add corn about halfway through cooking of turkey.
4. Add tomato sauce and salsa and simmer (add more if you like).
5. Meanwhile, place two tortillas at bottom of pie dish.
6. Transfer skillet mixture to pie plate.
7. Top with two more tortillas.
8. Top with cheese.
9. Bake in pre-heated 400C oven for about 20 minutes.
10. You could add cilantro if your kids like it!
Serve with sliced avocado and sour cream or plain greek yogurt. The kids will LOVE this new twist on Mexican night and we promise, they won't even notice you added vegetables!
Voila! Healthy & quick dinner.