I wanted to mimic pasta for a side dish for the kids and incorporate my absolutely fave- parmesan cheese! I chose to have this as my main dish, but I served it with a lean cooked ham and all of my boys- big and small fell in love with this new dish! My oldest even got in on using a fork to create the cool spaghetti squash strands! If you want a pretty delicious and low carb meal or side- this one gets my vote!
1 spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or about 1 tbsp of minced garlic in a jar
1/8 cup parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
add some oregano and basil for even more Italian flavour!
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Microwave a whole spaghetti squash for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the microwave and cut in half, length-wise. If it does not cut easily, microwave for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Place two sides of the open squash in 1/4 cup of water, open side down, and microwave for 10 minutes (do one at a time if your microwave is too small).
5. Place warm halves of the squash, open side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
6. Bake spaghetti squash for 50-60 minutes.
7. Use a fork to remove and discard the seeds and get long strands (kids LOVE to scrape the flesh from the skin). Set strands aside.
8. Heat a large saute pan with the butter and the garlic over medium-low heat. When it is melted, add in parsley, salt and pepper then add in the spaghetti squash strands. Add in 1/2 of the parmesan cheese and toss.
9. Serve as a side dish or main meal- top with the remaining half of the parmesan cheese.
Cool idea? Serve this squash dish in the roasted skins! Such a pretty presentation!