Looking for a lovely, lighter cookie recipe for summer? This twist on a sugar cookie is the perfect choice! momstown Niagara gathered up their moms and kids to bake for a cause with these delicious Lemon Sugar Cookies, inspired by Martha Stewart. Kids will love the hint of lemon and especially helping with the sugar decorations!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
2 large eggs
coloured sugar or sprinkles for decorating (found at bulk stores)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
3. Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds. Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and then the lemon juice. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
4. Scoop dough using an ice cream scoop; space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with coloured sugar or sprinkles, then lightly brush with a wet pastry brush, then sprinkle again.
5. Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes.
6. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.