Whether you are celebrating this holiday or you just want to know more about the Chinese culture, the rich golds and reds of Chinese New Year is something all kids will enjoy! Finding out what Chinese animal sign they are (see below) and creating a special craft of that animal is only some of the fun you can have on this lunar holiday!
1. Join the celebration with instruments! Make a Chinese Drum together with simple materials and have a parade!
2. Decorate your house or classroom with a special paper lantern! You can even cover windows and doors with red color paper-cuts that bring "good fortune", "happiness", "wealth", and "longevity" for the upcoming year.
3. Have fun writing fortunes to each other and make fortune cookies together!"You will snuggle with your mommy tonight", "You are one smart cookie", "Being silly is the key to a happy life", "Sharing with your brother will bring you great luck"!
4. Learn about this celebration by reading some great books about Chinese New Year for kids of all ages.
5. Go to the bulk or candy story to buy gold chocolate coins. Gold coins are a gift and symbol of good luck, wealth and prosperity for the upcoming year. Practice counting your gold coins together or make an envelope from red construction paper and share with a friend or neighbour to wish them a happy new year.
6. Many families in China celebrate the new year with fireworks. You can create your own fireworks artwork to share in the festivities.
7. Dragons and snakes are great symbols of this celebration and fun crafts for all kids to make. You can even find out what sign your child is (check the Chinese Zodiac Sign below) and make a craft about that animal- like a horse, sheep, pig, dog, snake, rabbit, tiger or dragon!
Have a Happy Chinese New Year!
Gung Hay Fat Choy!
momstown originally published this article in January 2014