Make your own homemade turkey stock with a few simple ingredients. This is a great recipes for the day-after Thanksgiving or Christmas!
1. Place the turkey carcass and bones in a large stockpot and cover with enough water to ensure that the water covers the turkey by at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim off any fat or foam that rises to the surface.
2. Add the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and peppercorns. Reduce the heat to low so that the stock is at a slow simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
3. Add the parsley and thyme to the stock and simmer for an additional 2 hours.
4. Pour the stock into a large bowl through a fine-mesh sieve and discard all of the solids. Allow to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or until a noticeable skin forms on the surface. Using a spoon, skim off the layer of fat, then let the stock cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. The next day, remove the layer of fat that has collected on the top of the stock, then portion out the stock into quart-size containers or freezer-safe ziploc bags and store. The stock can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen for up 6 months. Yields 12 cups of stock.