Mom Dishes It Out’s Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE
So what do you dish when the garden is less plentiful and the veggies get heartier? Well, thankfully these root vegetables are a comforting sources of vitamin packed carbohydrates and are ideal for thick soups or stews. Grab your aprons, peelers and young chefs! Sit down for some bonding time while you peel and chop potatoes, carrots and butternut squash. Enjoy the experience of prepping and cooking as much as the eating!!
A hearty and healthy family stew for fall.
Prep Time: 50 min. Cook Time: 4-7.5 hrs. Serves: 6-8
• 2 pounds bottom round, well trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 2 large onions, diced
• 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
• 1 cup dry red wine
• 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
• ¼ pound butternut squash, peeled, cut into cubes
• 1/2 pound baby carrots
• 2 cups no added salt, fat free vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• 1 bay leaf
1. Coat the beef in the flour by shaking in a Ziploc bag.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the lean beef and brown a few pieces at a time, adding more oil as necessary.
4. Transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
5. Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions.
7. Pour in the wine and transfer to the slow cooker.
8. Stir in the vegetables, broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf.
9. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 1/2 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
10. Serve immediately or let cool and freeze for another day.
photo credit: www.shadowbox.blogspot.ca
Farmer Market’s Root Soup
Prep Time: 50 minutes. Cook Time: 6 hours. Serves: 4-6
• 1 large yellow onion, chopped
• 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
• 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
• 1 lb. parsnips, peeled and chopped
• 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
• 2 celery ribs, stems removed and chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
• 3 cups no added salt, low fat vegetable broth
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
• 1 tsp. freshly-cracked black pepper
• 1 tsp. salt
• 3 cups chopped Swiss Chard (remove long stems)
1. Add all of the ingredients to a slow-cooker (except the Swiss chard), and carefully stir to combine.
2. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove bay leaf, and carefully stir in the Swiss chard and olive oil.
4. Let the stew continue cooking for 10 minutes or so until the Swiss chard is wilted.
5. Serve with sprinkle cheese (parmesan/Romano) or a piece of baked cod for protein.
photo credit: www.lickmyspoon.com
Love these slow cooker ideas? Try our Top 10 Recipes for your slow cooker and Steak and Potato Stew!
Love these slow cooker ideas? Try our Top 10 Recipes for your slow cooker and Steak and Potato Slow Cooker Stew!