Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE and Mom, has some great tips for healthy and yummy BBQ-ing this season.
Moms Like Me Like To Buy:
1. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que Original Sensuous Slathering BBQ Sauce
2. Organic Ville Tangy BBQ Sauce
3. Ben Benson’s Steak House, NYC Marinade and Sauce for Steaks and Chops
Anyone can go to the grocery store and toss a bottle of BBQ sauce in a basket. For those of you who are creative and ambitious, head to the kitchen to cook up your very own condiment. A mom I know, Martie D’Apice was kind enough to share her two favorite recipes with me. The recipe makes enough to serve a BBQ fit for a football team.
"The Family Meal" Barbeque Sauce By Feran Adria
*This recipe makes 8 ½ cups, which is a lot of sauce!
6 cups red onion, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp garlic cloves, crushed and then finely chopped
2 tbsp lemongrass, crushed and then finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh ginger, crushed and then finely chopped
1 lb oranges
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
2/3 cup sherry vinegar
1/4 cups Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 ¾ cups ketchup
2 ½ lb chopped tomatoes (Martie uses canned San Marzano's, which are already chopped!)
1. Squeeze oranges and preserve the juice.
2. Place a large saucepan over medium heat, then add oil.
3. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until a dark golden color.
4. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the sugar, orange juice and molasses, and let the mixture cook for 3 minutes.
6. Pour in the honey, and stir.
7. Add the ginger and lemongrass, and stir.
8. Add the mustard, Worcestershire, and ketchup.
9. Add the tomatoes, and simmer for 30 minutes.
10. Season to taste with salt.
11. Strain through a fine sieve and let cool.
Serve over meat or firm fish such as halibut, and hake.
Or, Mommy Martie’s Super Easy BBQ Sauce:
2 – 3 cups ketchup (sugar should be second ingredient or higher)
1 tbsp oil (canola or grapeseed)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
A few glugs of Worcestershire sauce
A few hits of Tabasco to taste
Simply stir ingredients together, serve, and enjoy!