Last Sunday we made Crunchy French Toast Sticks – delicious, fun to make and had some excellent learning moments for even the adults.
Whole Wheat bread 4-6 pieces, cut into vertical strips (3 per piece of bread)
3-4 eggs, beaten in a bowl with 1/2 cup of milk and a splash of vanilla
1 cup+ breakfast cereal – crushed (we used a mixture of both Frosted Flakes and Bran Flakes)
1. Designate one child the bread cutter by setting then up with a cutting 'station'. As the bread is cut lay it down on a flat plate or tray in a single layer.
2. Another job is the Crusher! Pour cereal into a ziploc bag, seal it, then roll a rolling pin over the bag to crunch the cereal.
3. Next crack the eggs and whisk the milk in – a perfect job for another set of junior hands. Pour the egg/milk mixture over the bread. Flip the bread (help a younger child with this, we had several peices go too soggy and rip.
4. Once bread has soaked, spread cereal crumbles on a flat plate or pie plate. Lay the egg sodden sticks in the cereal to coat both sides.
5. Cook these French Toast Sticks on a griddle or greased frying pan, flipping when golden brown.
6. Serve hot with maple syrup to dip into.
momstown originally published this in 2012