These easy Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins are a yummy way to pack extra nutritional punch into a muffin. Also are super fun to make with your kids.
momstown Milton enjoyed making a batch of these muffins during their Junior Chef program and the kids gave them a full thumbs up for a delicious snack and ate the whole batch up!
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
handful of raisins or nuts or flax seeds (optional)
1. Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
4. Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
5. In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired. Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough.
7. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
8. Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe Inspired by this one online at Spark People