We have a Top 10 slow cooker recipe list at momstown! As the weather turns cooler, I move the crock pot back up from its summer home in our basement to the kitchen pantry since it will be used weekly through the fall and winter.
olive oil 2-4tsp for browning
2lbs (or 1pkg) beef stewing cubes
2Tbs flour (any flour will do)
Salt and Pepper
1L of Beef Stock
1 medium onion
2 tsp chopped garlic
(optional bay leaf)
2 cups Baby Potatoes or new potatoes quartered
2- 3 large carrots chopped
2 stalks celery
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
1. In a skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tsp of olive oil.
2. In a large bowl or zip lock bag add the stewing beef and flour and salt and pepper. Mix to lightly coat beef. Shake off excess flour.
3. When the oil is hot fry the beef in small batches until it is browned, adding to the crockpot. You can chop and saute the onion at this point too or just add it straight to the pot.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (except the cornstarch and the peas).
5. Turn to combine, and cook on high for 4-5hours or low for 8 hours.
6. 45 minutes to half hour before you want to serve, dissolve the cornstarch in a few tablespoons of water, get the peas ready and dump all into the pot, stir quickly and return the lid.
7. Switch crock pot to high and leave for 1/2 hour until bubbly and thickened.
photo credit: basilkitchen.com
submitted by momstown Mississauga