red cut out of a hat (cut free hand or find one online)
5-6 strips of white paper (about 1/2" thick)
1. Cut out your red hat (or let older children cut out the template).
2. Using a ruler and pencil, make 5-10 lines on the white paper. Preschoolers and kindergarteners can use this as time to practice using a ruler.
3. Ask your child to cut out the strips of white paper and write the numbers 1-10 (or as many as you have). This is great cutting practice!
4. Ask your child to put white strips on the red hat to make a pattern; red, white, red, white….etc.
5. They must put the numbers in order of largest number to smallest or smallest to largest (counting and number recognition practice).
6. Once you work with your child to create a pattern and put the numbers in the correct order, talk about how many strips you used, ask them to tell you the pattern.
7. Glue your strips down on the red hat and decorate as you like!