Whether you think it's the "most wonderful time of the year" or you are dreading September, one thing we can all agree on is that back to school shopping is expensive! Each year, we create a budget for clothes, shoes and supplies and we always watch the flyers and online sales to save money! Walmart Canada is my go-to store for all things back to school! They make it easy to shop the back to school aisles and always have prices that fit our budget for two kids! We had already bought clothes and shoes, so when it came time to come up with a budget challenge, I knew just what we needed!
The boys and I decided to finally get ourselves organized for homework this year- so rather than create a home office, we created our wish list to buy supplies for our own "Homework Headquarters"! Each year, homework becomes a huge issue in our house and even a struggle. The boys always have supplies they need at school, but we don't always have the supplies they need, in our own house! That had to change, if we want to make homework time more bearable for us all!
Here's a list of what we needed to create our Homework Headquarters- hope this helps you create the same for your kids and stay organized:
1. small white board to keep track of assignments and due dates
2. folders- only $.25 each- one for each subject and colour coded for each child- perfect for organizing permission slips and Scholastic orders
3. pencil crayons- at $5 each, we now have a set for each of the boys so they can complete their work and not argue over the colours!
4. electric pencil sharpener- by far, our best investment! There will always be sharp pencils around for homework time (no more excuses)!
5. glue sticks, construction paper and scissors- perfect for assignments and projects
6. magazine file- this is for mom to store all the assignments and tests, one file for each of the boys, so i can save them later- be sure to label them!
7. organizer binder- my oldest son is going into grade 5 and not the most organized- he was thrilled to find a red, zip around binder that he can use to bring his homework home and keep it dry and organized.
8. knapsack- my youngest is going into grade 1 and he really wanted this cool new knapsack- for only $5, I couldn't resist adding it to our cart!
9. adhesive chalkboard- I love that you can stick a removeable chalkboard on the door where the kids leave for school- I can add notes- like "Field Trip permission slip" and we won't ever forget again!
10. plastic drawer set- for only $15, I got a rolling drawer set to hold all of our supplies in the kitchen- easy access for the kids and it will keep us neat and tidy throughout the year!
11. snacks- Walmart is THE place to shop for lunch box snacks but also for inexpensive snacks for after school! My boys love to have their snacks while they do their homework.
Can you believe that I got all of this, for $100? We are so thrilled to have our new organized Homework Headquarters and we are all ready for back to school!
– by Heather Hamilton, momstown Media contributor and @TJZMommy.