Submitted by: Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE, CEDS and Mom
With the New Year, come new resolutions for nutrition and health!! Set realistic behaviors to change. Make sure they are positive in message, measurable and specific. As you role model these new behaviors your children will learn healthy habits as well. Choose three to five behavior modifications to work on.
Consider these nutritious options below:
1. I will make a vegetarian dish every Monday for “Meatless Mondays”.
2. I will drink water with my dinner meal, five times a week Monday through Friday (no more soda).
3. I will bake for my children every two weeks using whole-wheat pastry flour and half the amount of sugar.
4. I will make 3 family meals a week on Sunday, Monday and Thursdays.
5. I will try one new healthy recipe bimonthly for Sunday dinners.
Having the recipes to try, or the calendar marked will make these new behaviors more likely to occur and become habits. To help you achieve your nutritious resolutions, try this healthy chicken recipe. It is perfect for a Sunday family meal.
Chipotle-Glazed Roasted Chicken with Butternut Squash
4 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, plus additional to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
28 oz skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the squash in the olive oil and scatter on the bottom of a roasting pan. Roast for 25 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the chilies, garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon to make a paste. Rub the paste evenly over each breast.
3. Place the chicken breasts on top of the squash and roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro if desired.
374 calories, 15.8g fat, 3.6g saturated, 18.7g carbs, 2.3g fiber, 39.5g protein, 8.1g sugar- 9 Weight Watchers points
photo credit: lifewiththelushers.com