We love to find teachable moments in everything we do at momstown. With a new season, comes new opportunites to explore, engage, learn and just have fun!
Here are 25 Activities to do with your Toddler and Preschooler this Spring;
1. Play I-Spy spring edition! Go on a nature walk or even on your way to the park, practice colour recognition with a game of I Spy!
2. Make mud pies! Yes, we said MUD! Get dirty together and explore the texture and smell of mud! We love this book that you can read with your child called, Mud Pies by Robert Munsch or sing this silly dirt song!!
I love to play in the sand box.
I love to play in the dirt.
I love to play in the wet mud.
I squish it and watch it squirt.
3. Want to have fun in the spring rain? Paint a picture or canvas inside and put it outside in the rain. What happens to your artwork?
4. Scavenger hunt, anyone? Create a list of spring items with your child and go outside on a scavenger hunt together to try to find them! This is a great time to talk to your child about the seasons. What is different about springtime? What happens in the spring?
5. Go on a rock hunt and collect 26 cool rocks! Bring them home to practice writing your upper and lower case letters (check our cool alphabet crafts)! Write the uppercase alphabet on one side of all the rocks and the lower case on the other! See if you preschooler can find the letters in their name or make words about spring, together!
6. April Showers are to be expected! No need to worry, the fun can continue inside with a "R is for Rain" or "U is for Umbrella craft".
7. Make homemade bubbles and try them out! POP, POP, POP!
8. Flowers might not be blooming yet, but you can make your own, like these footprint flowers!
9. Visit a local farm and see how they prepare for the spring. Are there new babies on the way or have they already arrived? You can even make some baby chick crafts together.
10. Get planting! Have you ever planted with your child? This is a great time to start learning about soil, seeds and what makes them grow. Here are some tips to help your child be a successful gardener.
11. Make some instruments with your child and create a marching band around the neighbourhood!
12. Decorate for spring! Create some fun spring decorations, like this toilet roll bunny craft or Easter wreath.
13. Plan a special spring dinner. Make your list of ingredients and hit the grocery store to shop together. Create the meal for the whole family and tell them about your planning.
14. Explore with your senses! Have some spring sensory fun by putting spring items in a bin and playing inside or outside! Here are some of our favourite sensory ideas and tips for you and your baby or toddler.
15. Do a good spring deed. Visit someone elderly, stuck indoors or who needs some cheering up and deliver a spring plant or craft your child made. It's amazing what a little touch of spring can do for someone's spirit!
16. Earth Day clean up fun. Grab some bags and head outside to do a neighbourhood clean up for Earth Day (April 22nd). See if other friends can join in to pick up community garbage and help keep our environment clean and safe! You might even get to enjoy some fun crafting or eating Earth-inspired treats after all that work!
17. Spring cleaning together! Whether it's cleaning the house, doing a toy purge to donate, or making this adorable "parking garage" for all those cars, spring is a great time to clean up and get organized for the season ahead!
18. Hit the dollar store to buy some chalk and try these fun ways to play chalk games.
19. Remember skipping as a child? Maybe your child can't skip quite yet, but you could play limbo games, drag the skipping rope on the ground and jump over the moving rope or even show them how it's done!
20. Learn a song about spring (we love "5 Little Ducks") and use this sign for "duck" while you sing it!
21. Make some yummy spring treats with your child, like this simple Oreo Bunny Pop on a stick. Use this time in the kitchen to learn about reading a recipe, counting out ingredients and kitchen safety.
22. Selfie time! Say cheese and take photos of you and your child as you go on new adventures this spring. Be sure to print them off and make a scrapbook of memories!
23. Get outside and give your car a wash! There is nothing more fun than washing the car together. You can even make a toy car wash on a smaller scale.
24. Go bird watching! Make some binoculars from toilet rolls and find some trails to follow. You will be surprised to see some beautiful coloured birds just arriving for spring! You can even prepare for your walk by hiding photos of birds and asking kids to find them! Listen to the different sounds and try to make your own bird calls! Want the birds to come to your backyard? Try making this recycled water bottle bird feeder.
25. Grab a ball and have fun! Teach your child a new sport- baseball, soccer or basket ball using a bucket and a ball! Better yet, have your child create a NEW sport using a ball.
What's your favourite spring activity to do with your child?
photo credit: Bur via photopin (license)
momstown originally published this in 2014