momstown has some great tips and resources to help first time hockey parents find all that they need to be ready for the big game and cheer for their little tyke on the ice!
1. Firstly, a checklist is a great idea- that's why we were impressed when we could find a hockey equipment checklist both in store and online from Canadian Tire. An official partner of the NHL, this list from Canadian Tire Hockey School will help you get all the gear you need for your child to be protected on the ice.
2. If your kids already love the game of hockey, then get them to check out the kid's section on HockeyCanada.com. It's got fun tips, online games, quizzes and videos from the NHL players!
3. There are several resources for helping first time hockey moms and dads fit their child's hockey equipment– but momstown found this great PDF from Millswood Hockey in Edmonton. The proper fit can mean the best protection against injury.
4. You only have to open that hockey bag one time to realize that every new hockey parent needs to invest in a good hockey bag deodorizer. We found this bamboo charcoal hockey bag deordorizers that absorbs odors & moisture from No-Plastic.ca.
5. We love this FREE HELMET program from Chevrolet Canada for all 5 year old children! Easy to register and receive the free helmet. What a great program to support Canadian families and help all children access our national sport!
6. momstown moms know to label everything, but did you know that Mabel's Label's has custom hockey equipment labels for your future NHL player? Choose team colours and even add your child's jersey number so you can label all the equipment and gear for this season.
7. Seasoned hockey parents told us that looking around for local deals on skate sharpening (we found one at National Sports for $50 for 15 sharpens). Check here for the best tips to ensure skates are sharp. Buying a "stamping card" or frequency program for your skate sharpening is also a great way to save money and support local small businesses.
8. Keep yourself warm at the games and practices with a fleece blanket– hockey theme of course, like this one from Walmart.ca for $24.00. The kids will be happy to cuddle up in the car after all that hard work!
9. Protect your child's teeth with a mouthguard and you will see the benefits on their overall health and wellbeing. This is one of the best investments that you'll make. Check your community for free mouthguard clinics, often sponsored by local dentists. Some will even create a custom mouthguard for free!
10. Moms and Dads will be spending lots of time in cold ice rinks this winter so parents also need some gear….
Have a great first season!