Here at momstown we're kind of partial to Mother's Day and making homemade gifts for our kids to give to Grandmas and Nanas. Then we sit back and hope that Daddy encourages the kids to make something special for us. Send him this link to give him a nudge in the right direction and help him create some crafty memories with the kids for you.
Here are our homemade favourites, just for mom;
1. Moms love flowers right? How about making a vase of Egg Carton Flowers to fill her table with bright colours? These flowers will never die and she can take them on her desk at work too. You can even use coffee filters to make flowers for mom, are long-lasting and made with love.
2. Capture those baby footprints for a new mom's first Mother's Day. Create a special picture on paper, canvas or even on a ceramic plate (available at craft stores). Turn the footprints into butterfly wings, flower petals or a heart for mom. Finding a way to get babies involved in arts and crafts can be tricky but this Footprint Flower is an easy way to include baby and make a sentimental Mother's Day picture or card crafted specially for Mom by Baby.
3. Recognizing letters in other mediums is a great skill for preschoolers to start to work on. This Mother's Day Ribbon card could be reproduced with a paper strips, household items like beads or fabric or string. The idea is simple – use everyday items to create the M-O-M letters and Mom will love it. Thanks to Kaboose for this idea and picture.
4. Photo gifts are so much fun to create with your child. We love this idea that takes three photos and a handprint to create something special for mom!
5. Silhouettes are easier than than they look and a beautiful art project that Mom will love and can hang on her wall. Your kids will be enthused about this project and help out but it's probably suited for the adult to run the show here with the tracing and details.
6. Share memories with mom, but putting her favourite photo in this frame the kids make themselves.
7. Adding a handprint or footprints or even a tea pot as the theme for your artwork or a framed homemade painting is a great memory and combining these with a poem is another way to bring tears to Mom's eyes!
Children have a certain way
of growing bigger every day,
But these little hands
and this special smile
will stay in our
hearts a long, long while.
I miss you when we're not together
I'm growing up so fast
See how big I've gotten
Since you saw me last?
As I grow, I'll change a lot,
The years will fly right by.
You'll wonder how I grew so quick
When and where and why?
So look upon this handprint (these handprints)
That's hanging on your wall.
And memories will come back of me,
When I was very small.
8. This bouquet of flowers is one I can see the Daddy in this house making and it's a brilliant idea by No Time For Flashcards – a Pool Noodle Bouquet. Now, that doesn't sound crafty at all does it? Perfect for the non-crafters because it includes using a bread knife and a pool item!
9. Up the ante and give Mommy a whole Garden of Cupcake Liner Flowers! Perfect for busy toddlers who have only so much patience for making Mommy a present, this is a simple craft to make by addng the word "MOM" in big letters the garden now has a theme!
10. For slightly older kids (5+) they could try this heart bracelet or preschoolers can try to make a heart necklace for mom. You might even want to try an early sewing project! Practise and patience will make this project easier.
If all else fails – follow this strategy – add a relevant poem! Poems are a great way to incorporate an appropriate message on a card or artwork and still let your kids be random in their art or design. A poem or saying grounds the artwork and gives it even more meaning. This is a great example to include on your handmade gift.
M.O.M. by Leanne Guenther (found here on DLTK website)
M is for the many times you’ve hugged me,
O’s for the outstanding things you do,
M is all our memories together —
Mom, I am so glad that I have you
momstown hopes everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day and feels loved and appreciated by the special little people in your lives.
Don't forget to forward this link to Daddy so something is created for yours truly in time for the big day!